Occupational health is a critical part of a productive and safe workplace. Exposures to chemicals, vapors, hazardous materials, and biological contaminants can result in injury, lost productivity, low morale, worker compensation claims, and regularoty liability. Pacific LLC is here to quickly and accurately identify the issue(s) and suggest the most efficient method to safely manage and address hazardous building materials and contaminants such as asbestos, lead, PCB's, heavy metals, silica, pedtroleum hydrocarbons and pesticides.
- Conducted hazardous material inspections in industrial manufacturing and petroleum processing facilities, low-and high-rise commercial buildings, airports and transportation structures, shopping malls and residential structures.
- Developed alternative means of compliance for unusual, high profile asbestos abatement projects that did not lend themselves to standard asbestos removal techniques.
- Taught asbestos awareness classes for healthcare, property management and construction company clients.
- Developed emergency asbestos abatement plans and exposure assessments for a variety of projects where asbestos was accidentally disturbed or removed.
- Conducted a risk communication program for workers potentially exposed to asbestos.
- Conducted inspections safely in commercial, industrial, residential, and healthcare facilities, both occupied and vacant buildings alike.
MOLD INSPECTION AND REMEDIATION
We are all exposed to mold and mold spores as a consequence of living on earth. Excessive exposure to mold can initiate allergic reactions, aggravate asthma, and cause mucous membrane irritation. Potentially life-threatening infection is possible among severely immune-compromised patients in healthcare settings (e.g. bone marrow, stem cell, solid organ transplant patients). We have extensive training and experience that enable us to quickly inspect for excess moisture in building materials that are capable of supporting mold growth in your home or workplace. If the moisture condition is not corrected the mold will return. While on site we systematically conduct walk-through examinations and testing to identify moisture damage and develop an appropriate mold removal and cleaning protocol to safely remove the water and mold impacted materials.
- Performed mold and moisture inspections in healthcare institutions, clinics, low- and high-rise commercial buildings, public and private schools, warehouses, industrial transportation facilities, universities, libraries, condominiums, hotels, casinos, and residential homes.
- Provided consulting services for water, fire, sewage, and flood remediation projects with regard to clean up.
- Provided consulting services for drying out hospitals, healthcare clinics, universities, condominiums, hotels, and residential homes after moisture/water damage
- Developed protocols for mold cleaning and removal in support of structural drying and mold remediation projects.
- Oversaw project and conducted exit evaluations for mold cleaning and removal projects.
- Conducted "Mold in Construction" training for general contractors, industrial hygienists, property management companies, and architects.
HEALTHCARE CONSTRUCTION AND INFECTION PREVENTION
Our primary goal of healthcare construction and infection prevention is to assess risk in order to ensure the safety of the patients, staff, and visitors. This is critical for at-risk patients with suppressed immune systems and or underlying illnesses that leave them vulnerable to potential life-threatening infection associated with construction and to comply with the Joint Commission. We are recognized for our expertise in this area locally, regionally, and nationally. We Assist our healthcare clients in the implementation regionally, and nationally. We assist our healthcare clients in the implementation of sound construction and infection prevention management programs that improve patient safety through the development and implementation of appropriate engineering controls through the Infection Prevention Risk Assessment (IRCA) process that best suit the risk, conditions, and schedule. Specific procedures for performing infection prevention commissioning are developed and carried out to confirm that the air handling system directional air flow, ventilation system filtration, and cleanliness meet design before the space is approved for patient care.
- Conducted pre-construction risk assessments (PCRAs) and infection control risk assessments (ICRAs) training for general contractors, subcontracting firms and healthcare organization project management teams throughout the pacific northwest.
- Coached and mentored healthcare construction management teams with regard to infection control risk assessments(ICRAs) compliance.
- Taught asbestos awareness classes for healthcare, property management and construction company clients.
- Performed routine infection control risk assessment (ICRA) inspections and air sampling services during the construction of new, free-standing structures for: healthcare organizations, clinics, tenant improvement projects in operating room suites, oncology and bone marrow transplant units, ICUs, pharmacies, sterile compounding labs, and non-clinical areas.
- Developed and conducted infection control commissioning programs to confirm HVAC system performance (actual vs. design) and cleaning efficacy prior to patient occupancy.
- Developed and conducted a Legionella Risk Assessment per ASHRAE Standard 188P.
- Shared our knowledge and expertise at national meetings of the American Industrial Hygiene Association, American Conference of Governmental Hygienists, Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, and American Society for Healthcare Environmental Services.
INDOOR AIR QUALITY
Staff reports of indoor air quality concerns need to be addressed quickly and treated with respect. Open and frequent communication is as critical as the technical investigation, and possibly more so. We take a methodical approach to indoor air quality investigation: We conduct inspections based on the occupants' testimonies and symptomology by developing a symptom profile that we relate to the building and buildings activities. Many times this can be done, and sources identified without the need for sampling. Every effort is made to keep the occupants "in the loop" so that they understand what we are doing, what we are looking for, what we found, and what will be done where improvements are made. It is vital that staff is a full partner if the issues are to be resolved.
- Conducted IAQ investigations in healthcare institutions and clinics, commercial low- and high-rise office buildings, warehouses, state and city police 911 emergency call centers, jails, public and private schools, universities, art studios, museums, and multi- and single-family residences.
- Identified sources of IAQ problems that have included the infiltration of exhaust from an underground parking garage, glass fiber exposure due to ceiling tile vibration during construction, the infiltration of sewer gas from a city sewer main, soot and environmental particulate infiltration via gasket failures on the HVAC system air filter frames, aerosolized mineral oil from an HVAC system manometer, dust and mold infiltration from the return air plenum due to positive pressurization due to leaks in the supply air duct, pet dander exposure leading to an asthma reaction due to inadequate housekeeping, and VOC exposure from construction projects.
HEATH AND SAFETY AT HAZARDOUS WASTE SITES
Health and Safety at hazardous waste sites is critical for those working at the site, the site owner, the neighboring community, and the regulating agencies. Qualified and experienced Certified Industrial Hygienists are especially skilled at recognizing and understanding the risks presented by the contaminating materials and direction with regard to personal protective equipment, training, exposure assessment, and monitoring in order to prevent unnecessary worker and community exposures during cleanup. Pacific LLC has reduced risk for owners, contractors, and the community during hazardous waste cleanup projects in all manner of locations and environments.
- Wrote site specific health and safety plans (HASPs) for hazardous waste cleanup projects in rural and urban sites. These HASPs addressed a wide variety of site contaminants such as: hydrocarbons, tetrachloroethylene, dioxin, PCBs, heavy metals (i.e. lead, cadmium, chromium, mercury), and asbestos. Sites have also included smelters, illegal battery reclamation operations, underground tire fire, brownfields, a decommissioned laser manufacturing center, dry cleaning facility, urban waterway, estuary, and landfill.
- Performed site safety officer duties for dioxin cleanup, underground tire chip fire, and several urban/downtown developments; that involved the discovery and removal of underground gasoline storage tanks and contaminated soil, tetrachloroethylene, PCBs, and hydrocarbons.
- Conducted 40-hour HAZWOPER training and 8-hour HAZWOPER supervisor training classes.
- Conducted customized 24-hour chemical decontamination for hospital emergency room personnel.
Hearing loss from excess noise exposure is prevalent throughout industrial society but it can be addressed on the job. Workers exposure to loud noises from impact noises, to continuous noise on an assembly line, to solvent exposure can adversely affect hearing and in some cases lead to complete hearing loss. Pacific LLC has the necessary assessment skills to identify, evaluate, and address noise and hearing loss issues in the workpace and community.
- Conducted noise dosimetry to determine worker noise exposure in a variety of sites such as: construction, nuclear power generating facilities, munitions firing ranges, silicon production, aluminum smelting, transportation facilities, automotive repair facilities, wood and timber processing, grounds keeping, metal fabrication, and quarrying.
- Modeled community noise exposure and conducted community noise assessments for wood chip processing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and highway and bridge construction.
- Provided expert consulting services, conducted noise dosimetry and performed noise exposure reconstruction for hearing loss workers compensation cases.
Pacific LLC provides expert witness consulting services in support of personal injury, bad faith, environmental, indoor air quality, workers compensation, and property damage cases.
- Consulting services have included advice regarding healthcare construction infection prevention practices, indoor air quality, and exposures to mold, carbon monoxide, glass fiber, asbestos, PCB’s, and other contaminants.